No future meetings scheduled.
Commission on the 21st Century Economy
Testimony from the Meeting on February 12, 2009
A video recording of the Committee meeting is available here, as well as documents and presentations presented at the meeting.
Presentations from the February 12 Meeting
- "How to Improve California’s Tax System: The Good (But Infeasible), the Bad, and the Ugly" : Charles E. McLure, Jr., Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- "State Income, Sales and Consumption Taxes" : James R. Hines Jr., University of Michigan, UC-Berkeley, and NBER
- "Tax Expenditures: Policy Issues" : Paul Warren, Legislative Analyst's Office
- "Written Remarks of Allen Prohofsky" : Allen Prohofsky, Manager, Tax Policy Research Section, Franchise Tax Board
- "Overview of California’s Tax Expenditures: Sales and Use Tax" : Robert Ingenito, Chief, Research and Statistics Section, California Board of Equalization
- "Considering a Broader Sales & Use Tax Base" : Annette Nellen, Professor, San José State University
- "Sales and Use Tax Weakness & Possible Remedies: The Tax Base is Too Narrow and Should Be Broadened" : Annette Nellen, Professor, San José State University
- "Issues in the Expansion of the California Sales and Use Tax to Include Additional Services" : Eric J. Miethke and Wm. Gregory Turner
- "Extending California's Sales and Use Tax to Services" : Robert Ingenito, Chief, Research and Statistics Section, California Board of Equalization
- "Tax Base Broadening Options" : Mark Ibele, Director, Commission on the 21st Century Economy
- "California's Tax Structure" : Jerry Nickelsburg, Senior Economist, UCLA Anderson Forecast
- "The Empire's New Clothes: The Failure to Assess Commercial Property at Market Value" : Lenny Goldberg, California Tax Reform Association
- "Best Practices for Taxation and Spending in the 21st Century Economy" : Teresa Casazza, President, California Taxpayers' Association
- "Testimony to the California Commission on the 21st Century Economy" : Joseph R. Crosby, COO & Senior Director, Policy, Council on State Taxation
- "Sales Taxation of Business Inputs" : Robert Cline, John Mikesell, Tom Neubig, and Andrew Phillips, Council on State Taxation
- "The Best and Worst of State Tax Administration" : Douglas L. Lindholm and Stephen P. Kranz, Council on State Taxation
- "California's Tax System" : The California Budget Project
- "Paying Forward: Responsible Revenue Reform" : J. Fred Silva, Senior Fiscal Advisor, California Forward
Public Speakers from the February 12 Meeting
Testimony by public speakers is available in the video and transcript of this meeting.
- Michael Feinstein, Green Party
- John Laird, on behalf of Speaker of the Assembly, Karen Bass, District 47
- Jack Lindblad — Note: Mr. Linblad was present, but wasn't able to speak due to time constraints.
- Public Comment by Mr. Linblad: Tax Policy Implications for a Sustainable, Green, Steady State Economy for the 21st Century by Jack Lindblad